Our friend Abby

My husband and I have known Holly and Nathan for several years, having first met them while both my husband and Nathan were stationed together in the Navy in Virginia. Not only were they immediately easy to get to know, even for introverts like me, but were always fun to be around. I loved doing so many things with them: going to their house and relaxing with them while eating Oreos and laughing at easily-mocked reality shows, staking out the best crab dip at the grocery store, getting together for barbecue and game night with several young married couples and having an absolute hoot, or just hanging out at my house watching Holly work her craft/scrapbooking magic. Even when we seemed to be doing nothing in particular together, it always felt like we were doing something because it was so enjoyable to be with them. Their happy demeanor and fantastic senses of humor never ceased to make the mood brighter around them. I dare say that a nicer, funnier couple you'd be hard pressed to find.

Since I first met Holly and Nathan, there has been one thing I've always known about them: their love of children and how much they hoped to have children. Theirs is a happy home that could only be made happier by enlarging it. After both Nathan and my husband moved on to different assignments/chapters in our lives, we all kept in touch. It has been through letters and emails that we've kept up with each other, and I believe I have come to know them better as people than I had when they lived only minutes away from us. It is in thoughtful communication like letters that a person's true personality can make itself known at last. I'm so grateful to have kept up with Holly and Nathan in this manner, especially Holly, as I feel like I was only able to graze the surface of themselves before, when now I have such a wonderful glimpse into the inner workings of their hearts. And what a marvelous people they really are. Now I only wish they'd move closer again!

Abby